About Me

My photo
San Jose, California, United States
Some paintings far surpass my expectations and some are scary awful, but it's always fun.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

"A" is for "Alberobello"


Once again I'm taking a painting class at Mission College. This semester the instructor, Mark Engel, came up with a new scheme for the class: we are to create 26 paintings-one for each letter of the alphabet. For my first, I used a reference photo I took when we were in Italy 2 1/2 years ago. We visited the town of Alberobello in the region of Puglia. It's a UNESCO World Heritage site, due to the hundreds of trulli-little dome-shaped stone and stucco houses with stacked stone roofs. We even stayed in a trullo for 2 nights! The living room was large with a wonderful soaring ceiling of exposed stone but the bedrooms and bathrooms were teensy and oddly shaped. There's even a church in the town made up of several trulli.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those clouds are awesome! and the texture you got going in the roof and tree. Really great work Janice!

    ReplyDelete